Thursday, September 27, 2007

Canyon Trip - Day 8 - Sept. 1, 2007

We left our hotel around 7:30 and decided to drive back a little bit to visit Cadillac Ranch. This is a place in Amarillo, TX where there are 10 old Cadillac’s half buried out in a field with spray painted graffiti all over them! Very cool! I immediately grabbed a can and began to paint our names. It was really a lot of fun!



Our next stop was in Elk City, OK at the Historic Route 66 Museum. We spent some time here learning about old Route 66. The most interesting item I found was an old Marriage License framed on a wall. What was interesting about it is the fact that it was from Cape Girardeau County! It was a Johnson/Vandivort on December 31, 1882…needless to say, I’ll look for that when I get back to work!

Next stop was one that I’ve wanted to visit for a very long time…the Oklahoma City Memorial. They have created the most beautiful, serene memorial I’ve ever seen. One unfortunate thing was that we were too late to visit the museum, but the Memorial was enough. Seeing part of the building, the chairs in the plush green grass, and the reflection pool just left me very emotional with tear filled eyes. Bruce concluded that it just wasn’t meant for me to go in that museum. Looking back, I think he is right. It may have just been too much. I remember that day like it was yesterday. April 19, 1995. I most remember that famous photo of the fireman carrying the little baby girl, Baylee, who had died in the explosion just one day after her first birthday. This awesome memorial, the reflecting pond, the memorial chairs, one with each of the 168 people’s names that lost their life that day on them, and the remaining part of the bombed building was just more than one could take in. As we left, we passed a fence surrounding the Memorial area. This fence is totally filled with remembrances that people have left of their loved ones over the past 12 years. I definitely want to visit this place again. The grounds are just immaculate and the feeling one gets here is one of indescribable peace and serenity. It is a very calming place where there once was a busy city street.




We traveled on to Tulsa, OK for the night.

No comments: